top of page
Search
  • David Houck

Does My Small Business Really Need A Website?

The internet has become a part of daily life. Google searches, online shopping, emails, social media-- they're necessities to most Americans. But despite the fact that we all use it, only 64% of small businesses have a website of their own.


I can understand why. Small business owners have to juggle a multitude of responsibilities in a constantly changing environment. There's a lot to keep up with! And a website? That can seem more like a down-the-road luxury than a necessity.


But more and more, studies have shown that a website is in fact a necessary investment! If you're in that 36% of small business owners who aren't sure if you need a website for your business, I'd like to present you with five reasons why you do.


1. Your Customers Are Looking For You


90% of Americans use the internet, and multiple firms have reported that 70-80% of consumers research a company online before visiting a business. In other words, your online presence has become the front door of your business! It's the first point of contact between you and potential customers you'd otherwise miss!


An informative, mobile-friendly website can help drive consumers to your business. Remember, if they're not visiting your website, they're visiting your competitor's!


2. You Can Shape Consumer Expectations


Your company's branding is essential in establishing a good relationship with consumers. Just like an effective logo, your website should convey the overall tone and style of your business! It's not enough to have basic information on your site, it should also give visitors a feeling for your history and how you operate.


Are you an attorney? Then you should have a strong and professional looking web design. Are you a hip new bar? Then your website should reflect that with modern design trends!


This is also why it is 100% worth it to hire a designer to build you a custom site, rather than buying a template that thousands of other companies are using as well. Your business is unique, why should your website be any different?


3. Facebook Isn't Enough


Social media marketing is a fantastic way to reach new people. A Facebook page can allow you to interact with consumers, post updates, and enables customers to leave reviews. But a social media presence doesn't mean you don't need a website!


71% of American adults use Facebook, but that still leaves 29% of potential customers that you're not reaching! Ideally, your social media presence should be directing consumers to your website, where they can find further information on your brand.


It's also important to think long-term. Less and less teenagers are using Facebook, with the latest number being 51%. Even if teenagers aren't your target audience, down the road they will be, and your Facebook page won't be reaching them!


Not to mention, a custom website offers way more flexibility and features than your Facebook page ever will.


4. Your Customers Need To Hear From You


We live in a constantly-changing world, and your customers need to hear from you! From pandemics to curfews, a website allows you to keep your visitors updated with any changes in hours, services, menus, or temporary closings.


It's also the perfect place to host your own blog, where you can share a behind-the-scenes look into your brand, informative guides related to your industry, and even reach a larger audience!


5. A Good Website Builds Trust


A proper website can establish your small business as a professional, trust-worthy company. Studies have shown that 75% of consumers have judged a company's credibility based on a website. When a business' website is poorly designed, slow to load, and doesn't function properly, it comes across as cheap, unprofessional, and untrustworthy.


This is also why it's important to hire a designer you trust, rather than get some cheap and sketchy deal online, or try to do it yourself. If your website is the front door of your business, make sure it's a good one!


Final Thoughts


The important thing to remember is your website is an investment. If done properly, it's an investment that will pay off! With a proper website design, you'll be able to build trust, gain awareness, and earn more customers than before!


If you're looking for a web designer, you can check out my work. I'm a graphic designer in Fulton, NY specializing in affordable logo & web designs for small businesses.



24 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page